- We firmly believe that a successful bid for UK City of Culture 2021 would be a fantastic opportunity for Paisley, Renfrewshire and for the west of Scotland in general for the following reasons:
- The bid will put Paisley and Renfrewshire firmly on the UK and international stage and this is likely to spin out and bring positive economic and business benefits to the area
- The economic activity stimulated by Paisley’s bid for UK City of Culture will create new and sustainable jobs and help re-energise Renfrewshire.
- In recent years, Paisley has suffered from economic decline and the bid for UK City of Culture will harness the power of culture and creativity as a catalyst for positive change.
- The bid is part of a wider long-term plan to use Paisley’s heritage, architectural and cultural assets to drive regeneration and transform the area’s future.
- Not only does Paisley have unique heritage assets including the Paisley Pattern, Scotland’s second-highest concentration of listed buildings, and an internationally significant museum collection including the world’s largest collection of Paisley’s shawls, but it has lots to shout about in the present too – an outstanding location and transport links, a highly-regarded university, and thriving grassroots contemporary cultural scene, including the UK’s largest youth theatre group
We wish Paisley 2021 well with the bid and would strongly encourage the Department for Culture, Media and Sport to seriously consider Paisley as the winning applicant for the title of UK City of Culture 2021.